Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Redefining Delivery for Digital Rhetoric

I would just like to take a moment and just share some of my impressions of Porter's article that we had to read for class on Monday. I've been rather fascinated by some of the theoretical studies we have been doing on the art (or techne) of rhetoric in this course, and it's very useful and relevant information to know for those aspiring in fields that really require a refined knowledge of effective communication. Well, this article is no exception to broadening that understanding especially in the context of web-based or digital communication.

Basically, delivery can be summed up as having five general components in the digital realm. They are body/identity, distribution/circulation, access/accessibility, interaction/interactivity, and economics. What I really got out of studying these concepts is a greater awareness of how I might utilize these theories to my advantage for any future digital projects I might choose to embark on. In fact, in addition to some other concepts we have explored in this class regarding effective presentation, such as the visual arrangements and tropes, I feel a solid understanding of the basic concepts in this class, as well as the softwares we have dabbled with, equip us with a variety of creative tools to use. I've never been strong in the visual and technical areas as I somehow never really had an affinity for them. However, I'm glad to have had the exposure in this class to be able to think more critically about the visual and technical aspects of any project to at least come up with a good vision for any project.

In the end, you can always hire someone else to do the step-by-step work which is what people hire web developers, programmers, and artists for. But if you at least have the power and ability to conceptualize the overarching idea, then more power to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment